Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Dubbing & Writing

I got another audition, this one for voiceover work for a cruise ship documentary series. Unlike other roles which have been fairly small time, this one would pay $10k. I am not getting my hopes up, especially considering that my home studio setup is not impressing anyone. But if I did make that kind of money, I could up my game and improve my home setup considerably. That being said, this is about practicing and making art. For now, I choose happier poverty over unhappy real job.

I have been far more consistent with my writing habits than I expected myself to be. I try for two hours per day, and often exceed that. A lot of the writing is really editing, but today I had some new material to write for my standup introduction. I had worried about my routine's opener and closer, but I may have found a decent approach to start. And the planned closer is a short standalone thing that matches my ideal style of humor for standup.

I learned from a recording session for a movie dubbing yesterday that I need to be more prepared with voices. I was hired because I demonstrated several distinct voices, but in the moment, when they said, "any voice will work here really" and I tried to churn out a new voice, it was a real struggle. It worked out, and I voiced a lot of people, but I clearly need to practice and mentally (and literally in a document) label the voices so I can always find them again at a moment's notice. That is my homework, but I do feel as though if I can do it, that is the biggest missing piece, basically what would serve as my portfolio. I demonstrated them in a sample demo, but since I improvised for that recording, the voices are not specifically catalogued in my brain like they need to be.

No comments: