Saturday, October 29, 2022

An Audition

At the end of my first week of taking acting seriously, I got auditions for two different parts (lead and supporting) in a short film that is shooting locally. So that is neat! Filling out a current reel is the task at hand, so any little thing is useful. That along with writing. I finally have enough standup material, and it has been long enough since I wrote it that I am finally just working on cutting stuff. With my previous experience having been in academics where more words is the goal, it is a significant transition to just repeat the mantra of "humor is brevity" every time I hesitate on making a cut. The latest comedy writing book I picked up, Poking a Dead Frog, one writer said, "A writer's best friend is the wastebasket" so I have a Google Doc with "Writer's Wastebasket" as the title and paste my beloved favorite cuts into it.

A nice thing about this kind of writing is that I am listening to music as I do it. I have not kept up with new music for years, so it is nice to finally get that dose of relevance going again. I hope that this trend of inspired writing keeps up.

No comments: