Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Hope Upon Return

Shortly after I made the journey back to the States from that Costa Rican journey, I ran across an advertisement for donating plasma. This reminded me of a friend I had known in high school and college who had boasted about how much money he had been making through such donations, so I drove to the donation center and made $125 by donating to a good cause of manufacturing life-saving medications as well as to further line the pockets of great profits of big pharma. As I write this, I have recently made my second donation, which took roughly an hour of my time and caused me to drive into town. Prior to the discovery of giving plasma, I had ruled out the possibility of visiting the big standup comedy club's open mic anymore. But with this budget increase, I can make these visits once again. Furthermore, I can also consider attending the weekend ones that come with a price tag and more tried and true performers.

Also upon my return to this country, I asked my friend in casting about that comedy show. It turns out that rather than simply being a show audition, I was one of around 30 comics who helped to serve as a pitch to try to get a show on the air. The host that they have attached is a big enough deal that it certainly stands a good chance of making it, but these things can take time.

Because of this and because of the perspective granted from time spent away, my current goals have switched toward putting together my own comedy show to enter into festivals, and also to read and learn for fun just like I always promised myself I would back when I graduated from college. I have already been making good on this pledge by dedicating my plasma donation time to reading Born Standing Up by Steve Martin. And may I say, it is so nice to just be reading again. No medical texts, no vague pressure or guilt regarding time not spent studying for a giant exam looming someday in the future. Just reading book to learn and enjoy.

No comments: