Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Short Hair & Revisiting Jokes

I got a significantly shorter haircut and it rained today. Some of my simpler yet prevailing excuses for not attempting standup comedy at this point is the point are that neither my choice of attire nor my hair were appropriate for the present times. It has been too hot to begin to fathom the notion of sleeves upon my body, much less the addition of a blazer, despite the fact that these open mics have, in my experience thus far, had their climate well under control. And as for the hair, I did not like the thought of such a thing continue to carry inertia after I do a physical bit. In my mind, this would become something requiring potential manual correction, which I imagine would have an undesired impact on my delivery.

Despite his many deliberate pushes toward cancellation, I greatly admire John Mulaney's tendency toward being well-dressed for his performances. I appreciated this about Steve Martin as well. In Steve's case, he wore the three-piece suit because the vest prevented his shirt from becoming noticeably untucked. In my case, I want to be well-dressed enough that it will be that much more surprising when I throw my body around for a slapstick gag. And though Steve Martin began with longer hair, his most successful look adapted to the times with a fairly conservative cut.

I had not thoroughly gone through my fully written joke notes for a month or two because I wanted to see them with fresh eyes, and sure enough, I revisited them today and was very pleased. I made some additional edits, but I think that it is about time to work on memorization. So the process will be memorization, then performing on video with a microphone in hand, then revising as needed until I feel good about doing it on stage.

No comments: