Sunday, June 17, 2018

Disliking This And Wondering About Others

I do not look forward to clinic tomorrow. Only half of the week is spent in clinic, but these extended weekends simply do not feel extended enough.

The bright side is that I am learning my preferences. I do not wish to consistently touch genitalia on a daily basis at work. Yes, I know that there are layers of jokes within that statement.

Perhaps neurology is the answer. From what I understood, that involved some riddles in terms of neural pathways, but little in the way of physical human contact. Psychiatry seemed like an easy version of that, and with fewer consequences (patients were often already there against their will). I took an online quiz that said I should go into pediatrics, and though I do brighten up when I get to spend time with kids, I do not think that I would be intellectually stimulated enough by that.

Oncology would be boring in terms of spending so much time with only one patient population (cancerous people), but I really did enjoy learning about it in my first two years. But perhaps my views on death would not prove to be advantageous there, given that those patients will likely be looking for encouragement to stay alive.

My next rotations are the most likely to be my focus, unless I choose a more specific specialty like those mentioned above. Internal medicine, family medicine, or surgery. With surgery, I obviously will not know until I begin. OB/GYN has been scary because the patients are awake and very sensitive to the physician's actions, but in surgery, they are not even awake to feel. Unfortunately, you do not get to know the patients well in that specialty. It seems to me that that would make work feel a lot like work. Oh, and also varicose veins. I do not wish to obtain those.

No comments: