Monday, May 21, 2018

Visits Home During Transition

Visiting home again. I was here two weeks ago, and will be again for the next two weekends. I had forgotten how relieving it can be during a transition period to visit home. When I first went to college in Arkansas, I frequently made trips back to Texas. Eventually, I stopped wanting to do so. I began to prefer Arkansas. I made so many friends, and university life lends to that.

Medical school was different. I went to an island with differing people, cultures, climate, and an altogether feeling of separation from any world I knew. I spent a lot of time alone. The isolation brought about depressive states.

So now I find myself in a new place, but with a relatively easy academic schedule. I still do not know how to acquire a social life where I live in Houston, but I do have the relief of visits home. People who know my humor and already know what they can assume about me, who do not take my words so seriously. That is the worst thing about working in medicine thus far; people genuinely listen to my words if I introduce myself as a medical student.

In other news, maybe I will get to go backpacking through Central or South America before I start residency. Or Asia maybe?

No comments: