Thursday, April 19, 2018

Psych Rotation

Psychiatry is fun. For one thing, this doctor is very busy and very good, so the students do not actually participate in patient encounters beyond observing. This is extremely relieving. I am doing my core rotations, but I met a student who is doing this as his elective rotation, which means that he has already completed his first year of clinicals. Conversing with him all day alleviated many fears, as he advised me on how I should live life a little bit while in Houston rather than stress myself out so much over studying. He went to the same school in the Caribbean, so he understood the bad isolationist habits that we all developed there.

Thanks to him, I also realized that with my current schedule, I can be finished with rotations and applications by next year in the fall, and match for residency is not until the following spring. So if all goes well, I could have a 6+ month gap in time which would only need to be filled by whatever interviews I get. In other words, I could travel. Even for the interviews themselves, I will have to visit wherever they are in the States.

Lots of fun patients in psych today, but my favorite told us that he was god. Specifically the reincarnation of Judas Iscariot. I do not quite follow the theology, but then again, I am no theologian. He also said that a witch doctor cut his heart out. When the doctor asked how, he said "I don't know how it works" in a sort of a "How would I know? I didn't go to witch med school"

There were many others. I should try to keep logs tomorrow so that I will not have to worry about logs anymore for the rest of the rotation.

No comments: