Monday, June 5, 2017

Turning 27

Wow, I hadn't realized that so much time had passed. To get you up to speed, I made a 64 on that big exam. Passing score was 68. I was pretty encouraged though, because my last scores were in the low 50's. The school had started a new policy (without informing students) that gives you a failing grade if you cannot pass that test after three tries, and then requires you to return to the island for a remedial course, after which you may retake the test three additional times. I never wish to return to that island, so I instead transferred to the school on the island next door, where the passing grade for the same exam is a 60. So rather than study for another stupid exam, I get to study for the real STEP 1 exam. As long as I pass that thing, I get to move on to clinical rotations. Finally.

As soon as I was accepted into the new school, I drove to Siloam Springs, Arkansas, where I went to college, and found an apartment. I have lived here for a few weeks and adore it. I can walk to coffee shops, the library, and bars, and people very much like me. A few dear friends live in the area too, which is relieving.

It is my birthday today. I am beginning the transition into my late-twenties. Since I plan to be dead by 35, it feels like I am getting old. However, everyone new I meet is surprised when I tell them my age. Most seem to think that I'm somewhere between 19-22, and that assumption suits me just fine.

Studying has basically been on hold since I last blogged, so you can imagine the amount of stupids currently residing in my brain. I am trying to get back into the swing of it. Life here is beautiful and wonderful and I'm excited to learn to balance both it and studying. I hope I have the discipline to include both in my life.

Hopefully I'll be a decent enough human to blog a reflection on this past year. But for now, I want to try to study and live a little today.

No comments: