Saturday, October 15, 2016

Our Witness

This election is awful. I've decided, for the moment at least, to avoid church until the election is over. Last week, I found myself judging people based on the amens I heard. Their political affiliations became obvious.

And it's tough to be forgiving of the Christian community when they choose a candidate who stands for so much that the Bible stands against. My convictions force me to be at odds with the evangelical church. And why? Because when I share my faith with a Muslim, illegal immigrant, African American, or, let's face it, a woman, I spend my time clarifying that Jesus was actually in favor of minorities, not against them. I am convinced that as a follower of Jesus, I could not support such a candidate, because it ruins my witness. As it is, the evangelicals voting for Trump sort of make me feel like I'm eating my words. So rather than share my faith, I end up taking the side of other religions, because at least they have the decency of mutual respect regardless of religion, skin color, etc.

I also have friends with PTSD from past sexual assault. They can't watch the debates. It triggers them. And it certainly drives me to drink too much, even as I'm trying to cut back.

So I look forward to November 9. So this can finally be over.

No comments: