Monday, October 31, 2016

Attempts To Study

I saw some of my favorites in concert this last week. King Charles was an opener, but unfortunately was not accompanied by a full band. Still good, but not nearly on the level of what I listen to every time I go jogging. I saw The Head and the Heart last night though, and that was a wonder. Their recorded albums are so good that it was shocking how great they were live (and their coordination with the lighting as well).

It's Halloween. A little over a month before I take my big exam. This means that rather than studying for 6-10 hours per day, I need to start studying for 12+ hours every day. Such an idea is immediately hampered, however. Even as I type, the UWorld questions I use to study with won't even load. The application won't launch. This is because of the internet at our house, which is a tethered phone shared by all. And this is just the technical issue. Every day my mom unnecessarily loudly asks casual questions to anyone or everyone in the house, somehow still not realizing that I am trying to simulate testing conditions.

I realize that it is unfair to ask her to change her habits for me just because I'm studying. But she was very insistent that my desire to rent an apartment elsewhere would be a stupid waste of money when our house was available for studying. Since she is currently funding my studies, I had to give in. Dogs bark. Election talk happens (and with me being the only libtard in the house, I become anxious over this). Life on the island was an awful, awful place that I never want to relive, but it was bereft of such distractions (except for power outages and internet going out and very real depression).

So when my sister's boyfriend hanged himself the other day and she said she never wanted to see their apartment again, and I discovered that their lease wouldn't be up for two more months, I was emphatic in my desire to study there. On the other side of Dallas, away from family.

No comments: