Monday, May 26, 2014

May 26

One reason many people I've met while backpacking through Europe prefer to travel alone is because some people just aren't as good at traveling, and it kinda drags everyone down. With my sister, I spend far more and see/do far less than I did while traveling alone. I write less but I also have a more luxurious time and get to stop thinking about myself. I'm also no longer so concerned with companionship and have the chance to long for romantic companionship instead, which had been a thought seldom thunk in the last season or two of my life.

We're currently in the Champagne region of France, in the city of Reims, which is where my sister wanted to visit most. The next week or so will be rough but rewarding. We'll be going from here to Avignon in Southern France to meet with my mother, and from there to Frankfurt (two night trains in a row, which will suck). My sister will fly out the following day and I will fly the day after that to London, then (the next day) to Cork. From there, I will tour Ireland until I fly out of Dublin the following week, ending my trip in the best of all possible ways.

In less than two weeks, I'll be back in the States. I don't plan to return to my job this summer because (and this was a surprise to me) I get to have a summer! I thought I was done with that long ago. Just babysitting (my sister is a nanny, so she can get me work), online writing work, and odd jobs here and there. Better to be poor and in good company than rich and always working.

No comments: