Saturday, February 11, 2023

Delays & Waiting

The wait is killing me. We were supposed to start filming the pilot this past Monday, but the winter storm last week delayed production by a couple days. So by my count, that means that production was meant to start on Wednesday. Too bad it is already Saturday. I just want a script so I can obsess over it!

The bright side to production delays was that I got to see my somewhat famous standup comedian friend perform again when she was in town on Sunday night. She let me know that my stuff was good enough to be paid to perform and work out the little missing details on stage. I made excuses that included a desire to sell my one-liners, since I seem to have a knack for writing them, but in truth, I have read so much online about how it takes ten years to have decent traction when it comes to doing standup. But that is for normal humans, which is a group into which I do not fall. But then I watched Steve Martin's 1976 set at The Troubadour last night, and it made me want to do more physical humor, much of which one tends to figure out on stage in the moment through improvisation.

Then that same standup friend released her first standup special online, then was written up in the New York Times about it along with a show that was my most recently binged comedy obsession. I was so excited for my friend, but also kicking myself a little too.

The restive anxiety was really hitting me yesterday. It feels like I have been sitting on my hands for two weeks, just waiting to be able to work on this pilot. Last I heard was on Thursday, when the creator said that she would be sending forms to sign, and once I signed them, she would send me a script.

My frustration over sitting and waiting in the midst of the success of friends is getting to me a little bit, but I am trying to channel that frustration into writing more. And so far, it is working. Over the past week, I have finally written jokes that incorporate my contortionist skills. I do not know if they are any good, but maybe they are!

No comments: