Friday, December 9, 2022

Two Gigs

On Sunday, I portrayed a Texan cult leader for a British documentary. It was neat! But I did not know the history of the situation well enough to be sure about what I was saying when locals at a bar recognized my portrayal, so I mostly kept quiet. The biggest anxiety leading up to the shoot was that the car I would be driving might be a manual transmission. I drove my brother's car a few days before to prepare for such an eventuality, and I would likely have been fine, but my relief was pronounced when I saw that the 1968 Camaro had an automatic transmission. No worries about a clutch in uphill traffic. Aside from the appreciation I had for working with Brits for a day, a great perk of that gig was that it paid $500, the most I have yet made for one day of work since getting back into acting.

Yesterday, I played the role of a corrupt chief of police for the filmed version of a comic book. It paid $15 per hour. It was for the purpose of a trailer, and we plan to shoot again soon. It has reportedly been picked up by a studio, and my appearance at SXSW has been requested for when they announce it. So it is low budget for now, but should go bigger by the fall of next year. And I get to play a very hated lead character. Even in my own writing, I am trying to dig into exploring that broken moral compass, so I look forward to doing so with this other character. I remember being confused when a girl I liked would say that something was right or wrong, and generally it was normal by my understanding, but then was occasionally way off, and it made me question how one's family and outside influences can change one's baseline morality. Right and wrong can sometimes seem fairly black and white for me, and my hope is that when my opinions change, it is based on facts and empathy. But what if one's entire perception is skewed and tainted from the start, so new facts and empathy still result in a twisted view?

No comments: