Wednesday, December 28, 2022

More of this Corrupt Chief of Police...

Yesterday, I reprised my role as a corrupt police chief. We spent the afternoon outside in the cold wind filming a scene involving memorized dialogue, making this the first time since I got back into acting that I actually had to put effort into memorizing a script. And my efforts proved to be crucial, because my scene partner improvised a lot, forcing me to adapt and make sure that we covered the pertinent information from the scene in a way that fit our characters. It was great fun, and, very importantly, it was impressive to the writer/director/creator. I also learned that she had been turning down real sponsors, which in her words was "taking care of my own" and although I do not see how turning down sponsors takes care of us, I surmised that I was indeed counted within that party of care. What we are currently filming will be used for a trailer at SXSW, and the presence of the actors there has been requested. When I asked again if she had any specific dates for it, she began with saying that we would go down there on March 8 or 9, but that our announcement would not be until the middle of the week (around the 15th). I currently find it hard to believe that we will be a big enough deal to merit so much time, but at the worst, my understanding is that I will get lodging paid for in another city for a few days, so that in itself is something. It would certainly be fun to do some press for it.

After we shot that exterior scene, we shot a brief interview about the actors behind the characters. Once again, it all feels presumptuous, but I had a few jokes ready for it that made it hard for the crew to suppress their laughs. Oh, and that was another major change; there was more than just one person in the crew. A sound woman, a cameraman, and his assistant who handled the drone as well.

I will admit now that whatever nostalgia I had felt about acting, that desire remains. But I do not care for auditions anywhere near as much as I did as a child. I obtained this role in the same manner that I obtained my first role as a child actor, through writing. My being a medical doctor was impressive to the creator of the project, enough to earn me the role. With that short horror film I did, my contortionist dance video earned me the role. For that short comedic advertisement I did awhile ago, I got that role just through a pre-recorded video and my history of improvised comedy. I will still be auditioning for roles as I am able, but it would be very nice if this police chief role turned out to be a very big deal that allowed me to skip the audition process in the future.

I just watched the clip from our last shoot with the smaller crew. I cannot stand it, but maybe it will look better when it all comes together as we announce it.

No comments: