Sunday, October 23, 2022

The Absolute Best Time

I drove to Austin to play the role of bartender in this show. I had tried asking my friends in the cast what the show was about, but they did not even attempt an answer. They did, however, mention that there was a lot of improvisation. So I showed up to set and pitched a few ideas to one of the directors, who was a little dismissive of them at first, saying that I was mostly there for some over the shoulder shots as I poured drinks. But then we started shooting and a new comedian friend I had met the night before was playing opposite me and asked me a question. Bear in mind that I was told nothing about this, but I knew that questions are often answered, so I improvised something and they liked it enough that the director eventually said things like, "does he have a mic on?" (the sound guy assured me that the boom caught all of my stuff) and "do a shot of London. He's earned it" and then brought back one of my ideas and had me do it, a physical bit with my face that I assume others cannot do.

The shoot lasted a long while. My scene was technically maybe eight or nine hours long, give or take. Lots of physical comedy and stunts, with me reacting to it. And in between takes, I was dancing around and having fun. Other (paid) actors let me know that I could stop, and when my part was finished, that I could leave, but I had to tell them that this was the best time for me. I had not been on a proper set in 20 years and it was just my favorite thing. I felt so happy and fulfilled and thrilled at how it all went. I earned my place there. I improvised with famous people and did well. The cast and crew were all very kind and a lot of us added each other on social media, exchanging numbers too. 

One of the directors later told me that our dialogue created a new scene, but I was perfect for the role. I gushed my thanks to them before leaving, and reiterated that I am a drive rather than a plane ride away. Easier to get. And I sent my contortionist video around.

I also learned about another showbiz audition website, which was how the lead in the show had been cast, and I made sure to sign up for that. I was not sure if I was kidding myself with a childhood dream about comedy and showbiz, but that really was the best feeling.

No comments: