Thursday, September 14, 2017

Two Weeks

Two weeks from today, I take an exam that will do much to determine the course of both my short- and long-term career. I am hitting the books hard and struggling to avoid burnout. I am alternating heavy days and light, with heavy days being powered first by coffee and then by adderall during the late afternoon slump, and both days ending with drinking.

The choice to live in this particular place and point in time are turning out to be as critical as I assumed. When I need a study break, it is a quick walk to find people with whom to converse at the nearby bar patio. I will also be on a podcast this weekend and have a showing of my movie at a friend's house.

It is amazing how this study mode can kick in merely on the basis of willpower. I have lacked in it until this test day grew so close, but after a friend called me to tell me about his testing experience last week, the ability to ignore my twitter feed arose within me. Failing this test would be very bad. In the face of that, I must study hard. And smart.

In the midst of this, I am also planning that trip to NYC. Westerly destinations have been phased out for various reasons. Nashville, DC, NYC, Niagara Falls/Toronto, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Oklahoma City are the ones on the list now. And, impressively, I have places to stay in all of those cities for most of the dates (though NYC is proving to be a little difficult in that regard).

No comments: