Sunday, March 19, 2017

Studying & Processing

I've been studying a lot, though not nearly as much as I should be. Also, my grandpa, Papa Bill, passed away last week, so I had to take a couple days off of studying for that funeral. I was one of six grandsons who served as pallbearers. The days of studying at the lakehouse tend to blend together, with progress only really tracked through which chapter of pathology I am working through at a given time. Given that and the ever-dissipating amount of time left to study, taking aside any time to write about the passing of Papa Bill seemed too much.

I learned the news while I was watching Logan. If any of you enjoy violent films, this movie was a particularly good one to watch while processing the death of a relative who died of old age.

There's a girl that I want to like, that a friend is trying to set me up with. However, there are a few major issues. The primary issue is that I am wary of anyone who seems overtly Christian, because in my mind as well as the minds of many in our nation, a Christian is one who embraces hypocrisy in their devotion to throwing aside the poor and needy. I have friends who treat their faith like something akin to coming out of the closet when they meet new people. The collective shame of America's Christian culture weighs upon a great many of us. So this girl is very devout. At her family's New Year's party, prayer and worship replaced booze. At this point, unless God very specifically directs otherwise, drinking is an important cultural aspect of my life that I'd want my partner to embrace as well.

The other issues, such as her being more manly than me (she likes hunting and camping and outside), are not nearly as critical.

In any case, I am thankful that I remain outside of a life which requires romance. I will stick to trolling tinder bots.

No comments: