Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Could Get Sticky

I have an interview with another Caribbean med school, American University of the Caribbean. It's next week on Thursday, though they were supposed to email further details today. The one that I was accepted into already, Medical University of the Americas, wants a letter of intent ("Your school is the one I choose") and a $250 housing deposit by the 20th, which leaves me in a weird place. I like having the safety net of this school, but I'm obviously going to want to go for a better school (especially if a Texas school offers an interview) if the opportunity presents itself. My dad's opinion was that $250 is a drop in the bucket compared to my upcoming tuition costs, and a letter of intent isn't binding, so if I can't postpone their deadline for it, I should just send what they want so I have a place to go if the other schools don't accept me.

The main fear is, naturally, that I won't have a place to go next year, and by the time I find that out, I will be late to applying to other programs. Then again, I don't want to appear dishonest. However, after reading this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/are-letters-of-intent-binding.98868/ and considering that this is a requested letter of intent, not voluntary, I'm feeling okay about my prospects.

No comments: