Saturday, February 2, 2013

Christian Debates With Unbelievers

In my Faith & Science class, we've talked about a bunch of big issues, addressing troubles that come up when you study science but also love God. I've mostly realized in the class that I already kinda have this stuff together in myself, but there was one issue that came up as a byproduct that really annoyed me. Some students asked about how to relate to "nonbelievers" and how to argue their views on Christianity. This question has a two-part answer.

I happen to be friends with some unbelievers, and I've noticed a very implausible thing in them: they are people. Despite the fact that their lack of faith in Christ has them headed towards hell, and despite their lack of belief in what makes a foundation for me as a way of life, they just so happen to also be people. Beautiful, loving people who are trying to figure life out as surely as we are, and who often have more figured out than we Christians do (aside from that ultimate question of salvation).

In my opinion, faith isn't something that's meant to be argued or debated. Talked out, reasoned, and reflected upon, yes, but I don't believe that you are going to prove God to someone who believes otherwise through debates. What makes Christianity crazy is that Christ happens to be real. We are just responsible to obey Him, and He does the big stuff, like going behind "enemy lines" (and by "enemy", of course, we mean people we love) and changing hearts and minds towards Him. He proves Himself.

No comments: