Saturday, December 29, 2012

What Is/Are Friend(s)

My last few posts were from my phone late at night, so I don't know what I wrote, but I'm sure it was all peaches.

So, lately I've had trouble grasping the necessity of keeping up with old friends while I'm away. I guess I just tend to commit to wherever I'm at, which leaves little room for friends outside of my own little world of work, much less friends that are hundreds of miles away. The more those friends expect of my friendship with them, the less inclined I am to keep up with it. It just seems to me that I always have the choice between working hard and diligently, and focusing on people. This showed itself a lot this semester, since I stopped trying to make time for people, instead letting it happen if it happened, and often being willing to say "no" if I thought it would affect me academically.

I don't want to overextend myself. It isn't worth it. I'd rather have no friends but be able to reach more people than have some friends and unable to reach people. Maybe it sounds as if I'm playing with extremes, and that's probably true. But that's kinda how I need to be thinking. Future souls are on the line, peoples' future lives are at stake, and much of it rides on how well I can handle things now.

Dreams of mine like writing books and poetry, going to Disney World, traveling Europe, learning guitar, dancing, finding my wife, and everything else I daydream about, they must all be submitted to The Lord, ready to be sacrificed, 'cause otherwise, they can compete with His purposes rather than jointly serve Him. It is difficult though, especially since I find myself checking the cost of flights to various parts of Europe every day, and looking up YouTube tutorials of dance moves and occasionally picking up my guitar to refresh myself on a few chords.

No comments: