Saturday, June 22, 2024

New Feature Idea

I thought of what may be a groundbreaking feature film idea. Instead of bending genres, stacking them. Historically, movies like Airplane! and Hot Shots are nearly shot-for-shot parodies of other movies, and the sequel to Hot Shots literally has a cameo of Michael Sheen, who stars in the movie being parodied in his scene.

So instead of getting frustrated with my inability to keep jokes out of my writing, what if I had a place for those jokes, and created context? In the first 45 minutes, we have a sci fi horror thriller. Alien comes down and terrorizes a couple during their weekend getaway. Relationship issues, violence, thoughtful difficulties. Things go sour, end on an exterior drone shot going from first floor to second, and a comedic parody of the same movie begins, maybe with one of the earlier characters from the opening shots singing a lighthearted Disney-esque song. What had been inanimate objects in the first half are now puppets that sing along, react to the scary parts, and maybe become emboldened heroes by the end of the second half.

This... this could be very good, I think. I have already written an outline for the serious version. It will need to be modified, but then it is just writing a joke version of that one.

With the prospect of potentially going to comedy festivals with industry networking events, I need to have pitches ready. For a tv show pilot, I was thinking of a comedic variety education show similar to what I do on my podcast, though I do already have an animated cartoon pilot script written (but it is currently too short). This idea would give me a feature to pitch. as well.

If I got to do a festival and meet industry people, some other homework for that would be to learn what each studio is doing or has done lately, and be able to pull comps from their stuff depending on who I am addressing.

The latest news indicates that when I get back to LA, union strikes will have begun anew, but after that ends, the industry should pick up again. I have also seen on twitter that writer's rooms are staffing, just with fewer jobs out there, which to me indicates that things will pick up in the fall and winter.

No comments: