Sunday, May 28, 2023

Snog & Standup Show

Well, I finally did it. At the ripe old age of almost 33, I finally made out with a girl. After passing up so many opportunities to do so over the years, I was feeling increasingly anxious about any acting job that reqiured romantic interaction. But I went on a pub crawl last night and hung out with Irish med students throughout, and one kept gushing in comparing me to various celebrity actors. So we made out in the club, then again at the door after I walked her back to her hostel.

I was pretty unimpressed with the experience. Granted, I might have been a bad kisser, or maybe she was, but assuming that that was not the case, it makes me feel pretty okay about all those times I skipped over in the past. Previously, one of the reasons why I held back was because I did was afraid of how it would impact the other person emotionally. But fortunately, a pub crawl in Eastern Europe is a great place to find someone with whom to snog without significant consequence.

People in my shared room in my hostel have been sick for days. And yesterday, I was having chills, just laying in bed between trips to the toilet until it was time for the pub crawl. Going out was admittedly not the most ethical thing I could have done, but fortunately, I did feel better once I had a buzz going.

I have reached the point in this trip at which I am kind of tired of being here, which was one of the goals. I have seen enough of the city that I have little excuse to avoid working on writing. This is critical because I booked my first standup comedy show, and it is scheduled for a week after I get back to the States. And they want me to do 15 minutes, though they said it was not strict with regard to timing. I should have plenty written, but now I am also writing the delivery, and having to add checking in with the audience to prevent it from feeling like a monologue.

No comments: