Saturday, May 6, 2023

Second Try at Standup

I realized this week one reason why that potentially career-making project has been so quiet. The writers strike had been looming and is now happening as of this past Tuesday. Last time this happened in such a big way, it ruined shows like Heroes. I remember it well. It apparently only lasted for four months, but it had a big impact. We all know that the union will win this, so it is just a matter of waiting. So hopefully everything will be full speed ahead once the strike ends.

Speaking of writing, I have been working on this standup for close to a year now, and I finally went to an open mic again for the second time. I hated it, but I achieved my goals of staying under five minutes and getting it on video with decent audio. But it was after 2 1/2 hours of mostly bad standup, so the remaining audience was understandably not happy. If I had been in the audience, I would not have been easy to win over. I got some laughs, but they they were sometimes at the parts that I did not think were as funny. Rather than pause for these laughs, I was nervous enough to push right through them, which likely cost me future laughs in the set. So we plan to review that footage tomorrow with a critical eye, and hopefully I will give it one more at an open mic next week before I go to Europe.

Just as when I went to Europe last year, this trip will be surrounded by financial insecurity. The hope is that I get some good writing done while I am there, along with some inspiration with all that comes with new cities and countries. And possibly hit up an open mic there to get another video.

No comments: