Saturday, January 7, 2023

First Real Audition

I have had no new gigs this year, but I did have an agency accept me as a client. Others have yet to respond to my submissions after weeks of waiting while this one gave their response on the same day that I sent in my work. A web search revealed little in terms of public opinion, except for one client who could not get their representative to get on a zoom call with them. So I emailed and asked for a zoom call. We will see how that goes.

Today, I had what I think was my first normal audition in at least a decade. It was done online and they just had me read some lines, doing some dialogue with me. I made the project's leader laugh some with the main character, then he had me read for another character, and he was laughing out loud multiple times at my cold read delivery. I may have overacted a little with the main character role, but in my view, I can always tone it down if they need it. In any case, he said auditions will be ongoing for the next ten days, but I should know about callbacks within a couple days. It was a fun experience! I wish I had more auditions like this. This is what I enjoyed in my childhood. The affirmation of the director saying that they liked what I just did, the choices I made (which are all improvised and it makes me worry that I will not be able to recreate it if I am cast), all of it really hits in such a real way. I will assume that I was not cast, but that does not take away from the experience.

I thought of a short film concept today. I need to stop sharing my first draft pitches with friends, because they absolutely do not tend to get what I am saying until I have fleshed it out. And I like to think that I am critical enough of my own writing that by the time I share a finished version of it, it should be decent.

No comments: