Monday, January 23, 2023

A Weekend of Wondrous News

Big things happened over the weekend. For one thing, the dramatic role I had been playing as a corrupt police chief went from shooting low production value short clips to now planning to shoot a 60-minute pilot in two weeks. It sounded like the SXSW plans might be out, but booking a lead role in a pilot is obviously a better gig anyway.

And then the following day, I played a significant role in the pilot for a workplace comedy, which basically functioned as the first major scene to set the tone for the show. And everyone was blown away. This was the zaniest character that I have been given to play, and I absolutely loved it. I was finally permitted to "over act" which my face and body are always craving. And the writer/director incorporated the jokes that I pitched. And the physical bits were so good that our part at least should be somewhat enjoyable on mute. Afterward, as I was sharing a little of my journey and the reservations I had had about getting back into acting, the PA for the shoot said, "What you did today is a sign that you are making the right choice" which was of course a lovely thing to hear.

With that upcoming dramatic pilot, I have to really get it together. Every production for them so far has involved short notice and then changes once we are on set. I of course practice improvising regularly, but I also want to be as prepared as I can be for a given role. I will consider this to be a chance to prove myself within the industry, which means that for the two weeks of shooting, I will be hardcore focused. Since the writer tends to make typos and those typos distract me, I will need to read digitally first, then correct and reword parts of it, then print it out and make notes for my character.

No comments: