Monday, September 12, 2022

Aiming Myself

It only took a few days and an industrial volume of whiskey, but I have finally gotten past my frustrated anger that plagued me after that open mic. My shortcut is not likely to be found in the setting of normal standup comedy, but I had to remind myself that I had not been writing to that anyway. I have a longer set in mind, largely inspired by Steve Martin's standup set. An extensive anthology of 1-5 minute silly jokes.

Months ago, when I first let my mind think of doing this, I had the rare feeling in me that I could really make something exceptional. I felt fully capable, and continue to feel that way. So really, the task at hand is relatively unchanged, except that now I know that my stage presence will need much more rehearsal, since I had not been on stage with a memorized script like that in something like a decade. And it showed. But now I know! And now I also know that I should expect minimal appreciation from the crowd at open mics, which means that I can likely practice and get a recording of my best stuff without being worried about having it stolen.

So the task at hand remains unchanged. Write more. Get more disciplined with writing while I still have the gift of too much time on my hands. And when I have enough written, I will hopefully be able to find a venue at which to aim myself and my act.

That being said, I did send out a few more job applications over the weekend. As much as I would like to rely on donating my plasma to pay bills for the rest of my life, I think that I would prefer a more engaging job. Or for my investments to pay off. 

No comments: