Monday, January 4, 2021

2020 Reflections Pt 1

Ah, 2020. What a year. It began as most years do, with the horrors of climate change doing their work through consuming Australia in flames. And I believe that somewhere near that time period, people in Beijing (or possibly Hong Kong? No internet as I write this) were protesting the government and fighting for their right to wear masks, to protect their identities.

As for me, I was finally applying for my test permit to retake the Step 2. Little did I know that that two-week process would literally not be complete until Christmas Day. I had auditioned for America’s Got Talent but messed up a little in my performance, so that was unfortunate. On the bright side, I would soon run across a Facebook post asking for singers who were either very good or very bad to be on a new tv show. Ah, January. I had allowed myself to like a girl, a former high fashion model who was now working as a nurse. As it was January, I had already begun work on her Valentine’s Day gift of various mini bottles of scotch.

So I sent that gift and then went on a cruise with some family. There had been two cruise ships with Covid-19 cases thus far, but these were around the east coast, so I for one saw little chance of these issues affecting us. However, it spooked my brothers, and one sister could not make it because her boss, who would later be arrested by Interpol for having a 17-year old killed in Brazil, decided at the last minute that she needed to stay. So my mom’s boyfriend and friend joined us. The friend is a psychologist, and at one point we would discuss my sister’s psychiatric diagnosis. Narcissistic Personality Disorder was the winner, and what an uncomfortable thing to recognize in your own genetics. The cruise was fun. It ended and it was then Valentine’s Day, and that girl I liked let me know that she appreciated the gift.

I flew through the audition process for that singing show. Turns out that it would be hosted by Dr. Ken, a role model in my life in some ways, and certainly a comedy influence. The network loved me and I was to begin filming later in March, so I would need to start my trip to SE Asia a little later than planned. Then a dear friend visited the area and stayed with us while he played a show and then we went out for drinks. I met a nice young woman who gave me her number so that we could go out on her boat and go to karaoke together. I had been in need of a local karaoke buddy so I could unwind after studying. This was early March as I recall, because this was the last weekend when it was still considered safe to go out. Then the world went into lockdown. St Patrick’s Day events were cancelled. I got the call that the show would be delayed. I got a refund on my flights to Bangkok.

And that is more or less when life stopped.

We went into lockdown for a few weeks, during which time the federal government did little to nothing to solve the current issues. Conspiracy theories prevailed and spread widely. In late May, I told my father and stepmother that if they will not do the basics of complying with basic public health recommendations, I would no longer partake of their company. Much to my surprise, they chose to disregard the health of others rather than have the pleasure of my company. Aside from a few holiday texts, I have not communicated with my father since. They, meanwhile, have sent some very insulting and condescending messages to me. Shortly thereafter, I told that girl that I liked her romantically and gave her a specifically worded poem so as to preserve friendships if the feelings were not mutual.

No comments: