Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Living in My Mom's Car & Loving It

I was staying in the spare bedroom of a couple for two months, but that ended, and I have been back to car. And if I am honest, I really like it. I finally caved and ordered a zoom recorder, so I should now be able to record the podcast in the car now.

Since I last updated... I went to an open casting call for Big Brother, but I have not heard back, so no bets there. Then I took a tour of a prop studio thanks to a connection via the online writer's group I meet with, and that helped introduce me to a guy there who used to work in prosthetics. He tells me that I should be able to get a foot in the door for creature work by reaching out to studios, and also by attending Monsterpalooza at the end of May. I had planned to just drive home since although I adore LA, I was beginning to feel like I was no longer doing much of use here. But my mom and sister are going on vacation for a month, and I am now flying rather than driving, so that I can get back in time for Monsterpalooza. Today, I emailed the various effects studios with my photo, resume, and some videos displaying my contortionist skills. Hopefully something will come from it! Regardless, that prosthetics friend said he would introduce me to folks at Monsterpalooza.

I did an improv show, which was very fun, with an open invitation to come back. I also did my standup variety act in a way that was close to how I imagined it could be when I first started writing, so I am excited to get that footage and write more. A couple days after I get back from LA, I will have stage time to work on said variety act via the host of that improv show in another show he is starting. Oh, and I told him that I would be interested in his X-Men improv show that he is starting back up after many years.

I just visited a dear friend up in San Francisco this past weekend. She always wanted children, and through IVF, she is now pregnant with the child of her boyfriend. Among other things, she, her friends, and I talked about where I am in life with romance and acting. The good friend said that my faith was such a driving force behind my becoming a doctor, and wondered how I felt about it now that I am less faith-focused and no longer trying to practice medicine. I feel that if I had gotten back into acting just before or after college, I would have potentially become famous and successful, but also a worse person. Now I feel that I am poor but a much better person than I might have been. Additionally, when I was first asking God to speak to me, the leadership at church told me "just wait" and "be patient," which was followed months later by a prophet telling me that I would become a medical doctor. Now, my old manager from child actor days is echoing those same sentiments of "just wait" and "be patient," and somehow it feels familiar and hopeful. Those friends also asked me about dating, and I said that I am happy to stay single now, that for various reasons including my own empathy and how my brain obsesses when I am in a relationship, I do not want that for myself. This was my honest take, but then my dreams that night were of me in despair and unable to process what I was going through. And then last night, the dreams were of flirting with cute girls. So perhaps my subconscious does not like my current contentment with leaving romance behind.

No comments: