Friday, February 2, 2024

Staying in LA

Aaaaand I am in LA. Been here for eight days. I got to meet some friends in real life and got paid to be an extra on set with some funny people. And I got to see friends perform sketch, standup, and improv. Then I attended a soiree mixer thing, and the host of that event asked me if I want to assist him in a film production. So now I am doing that, presumably working as a PA along with a small speaking role.

My original plan had been to alternate between staying in hostels and sleeping in my mom's car ((which I borrowed for the trip), but the car has been so pleasant that apart from the first night, I have continued staying there. I clean up and work out at a gym, then go on my way.

When I walked up to my old manager's office, which is also where we had taken acting classes, it was unfortunately closed. But I emailed him and received a call from him the same day, and I got to pitch myself. He was very friendly and, when he learned that I do comedy, he gave me a pilot to give notes on. As for potential work, he said that the work is "sh*t" and the pay is "sh*t", but we can keep in contact and see what it looks like in a month. So just like what I was told at 12 years old when asking God to speak to me, my manager said, "just wait, be patient."

Another comfort was that a member of my friend's sketch group works in sales for my favorite education resource in med school. What are the odds? When I told my slightly famous standup friend, she responded, "You were meant to be here!"

I adore it here. It is the ultimate vacation. Last night, it rained and I fell asleep to the sound of it pattering on the windows of the car. It was glorious. There is supposed to be a flash flood risk this weekend, so I need to park on hills. Fortunately, this city has a great many of those, along with mountains. I casually drove up one the other day to get my cardio in. Speaking of which, I am not doing enough cardio because wow, the incline kills me so fast. That and it is distanced from the gym, whereas I normally try to hit up both in a row.

No comments: